Type of motorcycle models for riding through Africa?

Discussion in 'Ride Planning' started by Rob, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob New Member

I have a crazy idea of riding a motorcycle from Monrovia, Liberia to the Amsterdam, Netherlands. I am looking to buy a decent motorbike that is capable on both West-African dirt roads as well as on European highways. Any advice on the journey itself would also be nice. I sure hope I know what I'm getting myself into!

2. Markus

Markus New Member

Your main goal should be to get a bike that is both common in Africa and Europe. That way you can get parts when things break! The Yamaha XT660 bikes would be a great. Also the Kawasaki KLR650 is a great bike for round the world adventures because is it based on old technology and easy to fix with parts you might find along the way. Make sure to check for dealerships along the route you plan to take. You don't want to be stuck trying to order a part from the other side of the world.

Beware of BMWs (especially the GS models) as they have been known to break down in the middle of nowhere with failed drive shafts.

3. Rob

Rob New Member

Thanks for the suggestions Markus. The bikes you mentioned fit the type I was thinking of using. The Yamaha XT660 should also be fixable along my planned route through West Africa. I was considering a BMW, but will surely not opt for the GS versions due to the reliability issues you mentioned.

4. arthur

arthur New Member

Triumph or BMW are both dual purpose with big engines for on/off road touring.

5. Bob S

Bob S New Member

Two words:
    1. KLR650
    2. KLR650 tech pages:http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/6164/klrpage.html

I have also had BMW R1100 GS, R100 GS, and R100GS-PD. Sold them all. Got two KLR650s. The R1100 GS was too much of a pig for me for dirt work. The R100 GS was too unreliable and all of them are too expensive to repair, and tubeless tires in the outback is not my idea of stellar design. KLR has good aftermarket support and allows you to point a personal design approach. It has its faults -- handlebar vibration is one. If you have lotsa money then the KTM Adventurer is also worth looking into.

Well, that is my somewhat less than humble opinion. Other mileages may vary.