Touring boots (upgrade form sneakers....)

Discussion in 'Riding Gear' started by robert_b, Feb 23, 2003.

1. robert_b

robert_b New Member

I have finally decided that riding in sneakers is not the safest of all choices, I have decided to get a pair of waterproof boots. I decided on the Cruiserworks side zip since I have a high instep. So high in fact that I have never owned a pair of pullons. My question for everyone out there is how should a pair of boot fit? Slightly loose? Slightly tight? "Just right"? I ended up a pair one full size larger than I typically wear. The boots fit just about perfectly with a liner and hiking sock, but seem too loose with just a light cotton sock. That combo will be great in the winter, but probably would be quite warm in the summer. I would like to hear any experience you folks have on this topic.

2. johnny

johnny New Member

I suggest two additional criteria for your boot evaluation.

1. When you are walking around off the bike, they should be comfortable enough that you are not unable to do what you want. I bring sandals to wear when I am walking around.

2. When the boot is protecting you from off road or on the road issues, it should remain on your foot and protect ankles, toes and the bones that take a long time to mend. Make sure they won't come off as your sneakers will.

I have found that since my legs are not exactly the same diameter, boots with some adjustment fit better for me. This is easier (for me) than trying to make up the differences with sox.

3. Bob C

Bob C New Member

For whatever it's worth I'll tell you what I've learned over many years of riding and backpacking and what works for me. Everybody's foot is different, so buy what is comfortable for you. What works for one rider may not work for you. I want a boot I can wear inside or outside my riding pants, depending on who I choose to be that day - Steve McQueen or Valentino Rossi.

Your feet will tend to be slightly larger (as much as 1/2 a size) towards the end of the day after riding, and particularly after walking around some - fit your boots for comfort towards the END of the day, with your thickest sock combination; not early in the day. I like to wear a very thin "wicking " sock liner under a calf length boot sock. The thickness and material of the boot sock will depend on the outside temperature. Medium or light weight Cool Max or Thermo Max in warm weather, and Merino Wool medium or heavy in cold weather.

My boots are probably one-half size larger than my foot size, so I install something like an "Odor Eater" footbed which allows the boots to fit more snugly if I desire.

They must be comfortable to walk in, and have a good griping sole because I'm often off my bike climbing up a boulder to take a picture. A too stiff boot is not comfortable for doing this. I accept the fact my "Touring" boot is not as protective as my motocross boot which has much stiffer and heavier leather and armor.

I have found the SIDI On the Road Sympatex boot fills most of my requirements very well. It has four velcro straps which allows a wide range of adjustment. I can loosen them for more air circulation and venting in hot weather. I have a pair here (western NC) and I keep a pair in Europe. I've used them about 3 years in ALL kinds of weather and have found them to be absolutely waterproof. Learn size conversion U.S.vs Metric.

4. MichaelC

MichaelC New Member

I just bought a pair of Sidi Discovery boots. I picked them because they were fairly similar to the Aerostich Combat Touring boots, fit me like the other Sidi boots (I have wide feet), had good quality offroad protection and were hightly water resistant.

5. Anders O

Anders O New Member

Yesterday I had long talk with Ben at Cruiserworks re: the only two "protected" ladies boots that they make. Also have very high instep and have been wearing the BMW side zip and after a few hours can't use my left foot. The people at Cruiserworks are great at working with you re: "fit". They are sending my size in wide rather than medium due to the high instep.

They should be here in a couple of days, and I am anxious to see how they fit and then how they ride. Thought of installing "footbed" in the BMW boots, but they are basically too long and it wasn't until I needed to walk stairs in them that I realised that they weren't going to work. Surprisingly very few companies make a woman's boot that has the same protection that the standard man's boot does. So far the only companies that I could find are Cruiserworks and BMW. Cruiserworks gives better phone.

6. BobZ

BobZ New Member

My daughter rides a Ducati Monster. She bought a pair of Triumph ladies' boots (around $150.00 I think) - waterproof. She's had them about 8 months, I guess, and says she likes them a lot. Construction is leather and cordura combination.