Tire Choice

Discussion in 'Rubber' started by Martin P, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Martin P

Martin P New Member

Check out the Continental TwinDuro (also called the TKC 80, I think). It will give you a bit less traction on pavement and a bit less mileage and a whole lot more traction in the loose stuff.

2. Russ A

Russ A New Member

For you're money, you have the best 10/90 tires you'll find. I ran a set of 30/70 knobbies on my departed BMW GS and they were ok on the pavement, boss on the dirt but pavement chews up knobs quickly. I swear by the Gripsters, all I ever ran on the GS (except the once) and my tire of choice for the KLR.

3. lee

lee New Member

Hi all,

I've had my 2002 KLR650 for about 6 months (~3500 miles) and I'm happy with tires I'm running on the road (Avon Gripsters) but would sure like more traction on loose dirt and gravel roads. I'll still be riding on paved roads 90% of the time so the tires have to be a compromise. Any suggestions? Thanks.

4. BobZ

BobZ New Member

For whatever it's worth, I've got now about about 6,000 miles on my Avon Distanzias mounted on my BMW GS 1100. Many of these miles have been some pretty hard and fast sport-type. These Distanzias, I understand, replaced at least some of the Avon Gripsters on which there was a recall probably a year and a half or so ago. These, I think, are referred to as an 80/20 tire. They are not as aggressive as the several sets of Dunlop Trail Max tires I had used after going through a couple of sets of Michelin Dual Sports. I found that the Dunlops moved more dirt than either the Avons or the Michelins and still got pretty decent mileage - they were also quite good in fairly aggressive sport riding on pavement in our mountains. However, I did have a Dunlop front tire fail on time from a sidewall separation, and I found it increasingly difficult to find any distributors with "freshly dated" tires. So, I thought I'd try the Avons because I've been pleased with their Super Venoms I have on a vintage BMW sport bike. I have been very pleased with the Distanzias. They're predictable, deliver good mileage, are "fresh", and stick very, very well on pavement in dry and wet. My GS is not a "trail bike" of course, but I have ridden it in some pretty testy conditions until I "gave out". It will, however, eat up a gravel fire road as long as I keep the speed up, and the Avons do well, but probably not as well as the Dunlops. Because my riding is more like 80/20 anyway, the good pavement characteristics of the Avons suit me the best for now.

5. Russ A

Russ A New Member

As far as Avon discontinuing the Gripsters, I beleive that was only the radials. I bought my AM24s for the KLR just last summer and still see them advertised. The radials (GS 1100ish tires) had a history of separation/failure.

6. Jeffb

Jeffb New Member

I found the Gripsters to be an excellent tire for dirt/ gravel roads, unless they are wet! Too bad they discontinued them!

Now I am using the Avon Distanzia and I am not as happy with it. It seems to be holding up well after 10K miles and has good pavement grip but it does not grab as well on gravel. It is a good rain tire though!

7. Larry

Larry New Member

Very regrettably, earlier this year Avon discontinued all models of the Avon Gripster and has decided (for us) that the Distanzia is what we need. This information I got right from the US importer when I went looking for them and could not find them any longer. I hunted all over the SF Bay Area until I found a dealer that had some old stock on the shelf yet and got what will be my last pair. (AM 24 tubeless) I will miss them as I thought they were a great tire for my use. If you like them and still find them in on the shelf, stock up!

8. Russ A

Russ A New Member

Dang! Will have to go easy on the ones I have I guess.

9. Conall

Conall New Member

Rumour has it that Avon is going to listen to thier customers, and bring back the AM24. Cross your fingers.

10. Russ A

Russ A New Member

Well, out of curiousity, I visited avontyres.com. Someone seems to be wrong somewhere as they still list the AM24 under Dual Sport Tyres (from Cooper.) The Distanza is touted as being for 'bigger' dual sporters, i.e. R1150GS types.

Maybe someone should tell Avon they aren't making AM24s. Oh, wait, dont!

11. Russ A

Russ A New Member

Ok, I concede. Apparently, or possibly, AM24s are available in Europe. And a few sizes, but not for KLRs, are available in stock at various MailOrder houses. One site actually says the Distanzas are replacing the Gripsters. Double dang. Maybe they will bring them back.

12. northrider

northrider New Member

I just completed a loop from Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada to Tok, Alaska and on to Dawson City, Canada and back to Whitehorse on a pair of new Continental TKC 80 Twinduro's. Only a thousand miles but encountered hundreds of miles of gravel, snow, and mud along the way. About half of the miles were on chipseal. The tires worked fine as did the old SR500. I would be skeptical regarding Gripsters giving me the same confidence as the TKC 80's. Great ride, by the way, a bit cool but no mosquitoes and few tourists this time of year.

13. Russ A

Russ A New Member

I did that (plus rode from Phoenix to Whitehorse and back) on AM24 Gripsters. I have no experience with the TKC 80s but the Gripsters did a great job. The Cassiar was a mess, rain through miles of construction. No confidence problems. The ride was in 1995 but I doubt if the road has improved much! (except I think the Top of The World is paved now from the AK border to Dawson City.)