Tire Balancing for motorbikes?

Discussion in 'Rubber' started by DanV, Oct 20, 2012.

1. DanV

DanV New Member

I need to put a new rear tire on my V Star1100 Classic and have been checking the local tire shops to see who has the best deal on a Metzler 170/80/15 tire. Most want 180 or more for the tire then 40 dollars to mount and balance it , if I bring the wheel to them they want 80 bucks to pull the wheel off the bike and then mount and balance the tire and that price is only good if I buy the tire from them. Today I found a new shop that wants to get better known and they can get the tire for 150 and 25 dollars to mount it. I asked about balancing and they said they use Dyna Beads, they pour them into the tube or tire if it is tubeless. They claim there have been no problems but I have never heard of this. Does anyone know about dyna beads?

2. christopherok77

christopherok77 Banned

I don't know anything about the beads but I have always mounted my own tires on my bike and I have never Balanced them There is a mark on every new tire that is made is to be put at you valve stem and there is no need to be Balanced

3. burich

burich New Member

If the dot on the tire is lined up with the valve core, there really should not be much of a balance issue with the tire, the beads do a good job and it had no ill affect on the tire or the ride. I have never used them but I have known riders to use them on their big trikes.. if they are a good shop they will stand behind their work.

4. Merv

Merv New Member

my mechanic uses the beads, I have them in my tires. I've never had any issues

5. DanV

DanV New Member

I replaced the front tire last year and put on a Dunlap 404 and it had to be balanced. My rear tire is a metzler and it is not balanced and I get a vibration at 70 mph. I checked into these beads and the only complaint I found was that they do not work after you hit 110 mph. This would not be a problem with me. While I have gone that fast a time or to while passing a bunch of cars on the freeway I just don't drive that fast. I do not get on a freeway very often. I spend most of my time on rural roads and in the mountains.

6. burich

burich New Member

I am not sure that mixing tire brands and tire patterns is not the cause of some of your vibration, and you really dont need to go 110 at anytime, unless you just robbed the bank and are trying to out run the radio.. LOL ,, good luck with your new tire...

7. moto

moto New Member

Motorcycle Consumer News (the magazine in the U.S., which does not take advertising and is therefore objective) tested the dynabeads and said they did not meet the manufacturer's claims. Google Motorcycle Consumer News and dynabeads and you'll find lots on this.

Frankly, I have yet to see a convincing, scientifically sound explanation of how dynabeads work. How do the little beads rolling around in the tire know exactly where to go to make the tire balanced? If anyone can explain that to me, it will be a first.