Tent vs Swag

Discussion in 'Camping' started by TripSpec, Oct 16, 2012.

1. TripSpec

TripSpec Administrator Staff Member

What does everyone here sleep in? I use a swag (bivy sack) rather than a tent. It ends up being a lot fatter than a tent but I like the idea of pulling up, rolling it out and going straight to bed. Then in the morning you roll it up and your done!

2. moto

moto New Member

I've always used a tent and sleeping bag combination but I'm curious about your setup. What do you do for comfort and insulation between you and the ground? I have a pad under my sleeping bag. What do you use? I like camping late in the season, when the days are warm but the nights can get cold, so some insulation between me and the cold ground is essential for temperature, not just for comfort. I'm always looking for ways to simplify my camping gear, however, so I'm curious about the bivy sack option.

3. alac65

alac65 New Member

I used to take a camping swag everywhere. these days, I have transformed to using the tent. A lot simpler in wet climate and simpler to get clothed etc. Swags take up a lot of space.

4. haponing

haponing New Member

I prefer a tent and a fleece heated blanket. I like it when the blanket folds easily so its easy to fix. Sometimes it's better too if you have a heater with retractable handle.