Secondhand motorcycle mileage

Discussion in 'Ride Planning' started by Johno, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Johno

Johno New Member

What mileage on a secondhand motorbike is ok? I want to buy a second hand motorbike and don't really know how many miles the engines last for. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Johno

2. moto

moto New Member

The answer varies greatly. A small air-cooled engine will last less miles than a larger one or a liquid-cooled one. But more important, really, is how well it was cared for. That's why I always try to buy a used motorcycle from the owner. I can get an idea of what kind of person the owner is, whether he takes good care of stuff or is sloppy. I would much rather buy a motorcycle with more miles that has been owned by an obsessive owner than a low-mileage bike that has been abused and neglected.

A case in point is the BMW F650 in my avatar. It had 40,000 miles on it when I bought it and some people will say that's too many miles for a single-cylinder bike, but it was owned by a professional mechanic. I had no worries about riding it off to Mexico and back, and it did just fine. So it's more about maintenance than mileage.

Most people underestimate how long modern motorcycles can last. It's not an adventure bike, but the motorcycle in this article is a good example of how you can get high mileage out of a bike today with a little are.