Road tyres suggestions please.

Discussion in 'Rubber' started by TedS, Mar 11, 2007.

1. TedS

TedS New Member

Hi guys.

Sorry to return to a topic revisited a million times.

I am planning a mega-trip from Spain to Turkey this year on my Yamaha XTZ750 Superten. Probably 6 to 8 thousand miles total. and I will be doing 98% of the miles on tarmac roads.

I have always used Adventure-Sport tyres and I have almost no experience of road-only sport-touring tyres.

I would prefer to do the trip on 1 set of tyres but I MUST have really top quality wet-grip, I won’t compromise on that.

If I do a few unsurfaced roads it will only be in the dry so whatever tyres I use will be ok if I take it steady. A friend of mine always used sports road tyres, I did some fairly serious trails with him and he had no particular problem.

Having a 19inch front greatly limits my choice. I looked at the new Avon Storm but there is no 19inch.

I will be grateful for suggestions and experience from any of you who run on road tyres please.

2. DC

DC New Member

I put 18,000 km on a pair of Michelin Anakees in 06 doing the USA 4 Corners run on a KLR, and they still have quite a lot of mileage left on them. They run at pretty high pressures by the way, (42 psi) for the rear, can't remember the front, and the bike is still in winter storage so I can't get at it, but gave no problems.

I'm envious of you about that trip though.

Good Luck
    DC

3. TedS

TedS New Member

I have used Anakees and don’t get half that mileage, and you on a single too. Amazing.

4. LewisW

LewisW New Member

Hi Ted: Did you notice DC was talking kilometers and not miles? I like what I've been hearing/reading about Metzler ME880 Marathon bias tires. Long-distance riders and iron-butters on my V-Strom lists highly recommend them for long-lasting touring tires. I intend to use them as my next tires for adventure touring. Check them out. Later, amigo.

5. JudJ

JudJ New Member

I know a lot of people like them, but when I was riding BMWs a lot, I could never get more than 4000 mi. out of a ME880 rear tire. Obviously, I never bonded with them, and I have since come to view Metzelers as overpriced and vastly overrated.

6. Bob S

Bob S New Member

I got about 12k from the stock Anakees that come on the R1200GS,which I thought was great. On the KLR I've had what I considered average milage from Metzler Karoo's and Tourances which was only 4-5k, The Karoo's work extremely well when loaded as they were designed for the heavier R80...the front whines at speed after about 4k..

7. DavidC

DavidC New Member

I'll pass along an opinion from Mr. Hunter of this group, and a link he gave me on tire reviews. Not sure how current the info is, but I felt better informed when I picked a tire off the chart. Hope this is of some help. Have a great trip!

"...I've been riding a KLR for the past three years having done over 75,000 miles. I've tried almost all the tires listed. Over the Avon Distanzia I would prefer the Avon Gripster. I got better milege out of the Gripster and felt it was better on gravel roads. The Anakee seems to be of harder rubber and I wasn't as comfortable with it as the Gripster off road or leaning over in the corners on pavement but it's a long lasting tire. " and now for the link: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html#wheelstires

8. TedS

TedS New Member

Thanks David. That's an interesting list.

There is one missing, the Michelin BAJA, if you can get it in USA.

It is as good off-road as the MT21 but lasts twice as long as it is radial, and due to the flexibility of the side walls they can use harder rubber on the tread blocks. For years I used nothing else for dirt riding as it is a 100% road-legal knobbly here in UK.

Great tyre. It's in the same family as the DESERT but much more suited to smaller lighter bikes than the monsters the Desert is designed for.

I wonder if the USA Anakee is made with harder rubber because the UK ones definitely don't last nearly that long my experience of them and others
    opinions.

9. DC

DC New Member

This was steady, all day, all pavement, no fancy tricks except dodging the folks that actually own the road. Temperatures from 104F in Texas to about 65F in Ontario.

10. orvsnurtz

orvsnurtz New Member

You might do some asking regarding the 880's. If there is such a thing as universal consensus, it is that the 880 tire on heavy bikes gets great mileage, but really sucks in the wet. Since that is a critical point for you, I'd go to something a bit more soft to take care of the wet and the corners. Safety is cheap when it comes to tires. OTOH, you shouldn't have trouble getting tires on your trip, so if you get a few less miles, you should be able to replace them.

11. MarkF

MarkF New Member

I may have missed previous discussion in this strand. Tire suggestion - if you want a good street/moderately capable fire/gravel road rubber: Bridgestone's Battle Eagles (I think I got that right). I read a review on RAT that praised them. If you can find the strand (it was in the Tiger section), you probably could even contact the writer.

12. George

George New Member

Sorry, I misunderstood the thread and didn't put in my 2 pesos earlier.

I have had mixed experiences with the Tourance tires on my extremely heavy Quota. One rear lasted 12,000 miles, the next one 7,000. I talked to Metzler, and they explained that even though I did nothing different, the difference in wear was somehow my fault.

There are people who claim the difference has to do with where the tire was made and that the Brazilian ones wear faster. I don't know if this is true or where both of mine were made. But this one experience soured me on the brand.

I now run Dunlop D607s, and have gotten 12,000 miles out of the rear and over 20,000 out of the front consistently.

As far as oil in an emergency, if you can't get motorcycle oil, oil for diesel motors will work for most applications..

13. TedS

TedS New Member

My experience of getting new tyres on my trips has not been good.

A basic road tyre maybe ok but if you want a dual-sport tyre you at-least have to wait until it is delivered. I waited 3 days in Queenstown New Zealand, and I expected it to be a biking mecca down there, and that was for a basic XT600 which is common there. Even getting proper oil in Sardinia was impossible; I had to fill up with 20/50 rubbish car oil. By the time I got home it was smoking badly and I thought I had wrecked my engine. Happily not.

I like to be as self-sufficient as possible on my trips. I carry spare CDI, Voltage regulator and fuel pump.

Decision made on the tyres. Metzeler Tourance it is. Thanks to you all for the suggestions. I will report back when I return, how they were.

14. Jayz

Jayz New Member

George, What bike are you running the D607's on? I'm not getting near that mileage on my GS with them. I may get 6K from a rear, generally about 5K. I've had better luck with Bridgestone TrailWings on the Beemer.
    O'Jay

15. George

George New Member

On a big heavy Moto Guzzi Quota. I run the rear at about 40-42 lbs. and this seems to make a lot of difference.

16. TedS

TedS New Member

Whatever the makers say they vary a lot. I bought a second set of a well-known make (better not say which). They gripped like you wouldn’t believe and felt wonderful but after 1000 miles they were nearly shot. I complained to my tyre dealer (I am a good customer with the miles I do) and they were replaced with another which lasted normally but was quite different to the special one. They of course said it was a goodwill gesture and did not comment on the worn ones compound, but it was made of some special racing rubber I reckon. I wish I could afford to use tyres like that all the time. Interesting isn’t it?

What are the D607’s like in the wet?

Mind you, based on the USA Anakee mileage reported, there is no certainty that your experience would be replicated over here.

17. Jayz

Jayz New Member

Wow. The Quota and the GS are similar in size/weight. I run 40psi in the rear. I've got admit though, I've got a real heavy throttle hand and downshift alot for stops. Maybe I should learn more conservative riding techniques.
    O'Jay

18. Jayz

Jayz New Member

The 607's work well in the wet for me. I can still hold a good lean angle, within reason, in everything but a deluge. They also have a high degree of predictability when wet, letting you know when things are getting dicey. The grip in dry is great. What part of the UK are you in Ted. I used to live in Banbury.

19. George

George New Member

20. TedS

TedS New Member

Now that IS loaded!