Nowendoc Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Barry, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Barry

Barry New Member

aturday morning I met up with Jim Davidson (AT 750) at the Shell servo north of Hexham then we were off to Gloucester to meet up with Mike Stewart (AT 750) and Les Farrand (R100 GSPD) . Les had camped the night at Gloucester after the ride down from Moree & Mike rode down from Port Macquarie that morning.

After breakfast, Mike & Jim took the bitumen back to Port to tend to other business, Les and I headed north up Thunderbolts Way to Nowendoc. From there Les took over as tour guide and lead us along the Wingham road then off into the Dingo & Bulga state forests. He managed to navigate his way through the maze of forest roads around Dingo tops, Elands, Comboyne then down Toms Creek road to Ellenborough onto the Oxley Highway without having to consult the map once. I was impressed.

The compulsory lunch stop at Gingers creek was had and then on our way west turning off the Oxley just past Yarrowitch to Tia, Brackendale, Riamukka State forest then back to the Nowendoc motel for the night.

I have to mention that the service there was nothing short of excellent and should be a definite consideration on future rides through this region. Its a basic type of motel but Lynne and her mum who run the place do a fantastic job.(Mal, I checked the place out for stuffed animals but sadly I didn't find any) Beer and fuel are available at the local general store.

Sunday morning was north along the Walcha Road then left onto the Nundle forest road. About half way through the forest I had to pull over for, would you believe, a random breath test. This cop was obviously trying to justify the reason for having a hoot through the forest in his new GU Patrol.

The plan was to make it to Ellerston via the Barry station road but at the first of the 24 creek crossings there was a road closed sign, a washed out bridge and a very formidable temporary creek crossing courtesy of the January floods. After some discussions with a local about the pending difficulty with the remaining 23 crossings we opted for the easy way back through Nundle & Timor.

Moonan Pub was packed with the usual long weekend yuppie brigade not to mention a vintage car club rally passing through. So after a quick drink it was back to Gloucester across the Barrington Tops road where Les & I had a late lunch then parted company.

In summary, great riding, outstanding views , perfect weather and excellent company. A definate "do again".