Jackets, Pants and Boots

Discussion in 'Riding Gear' started by Adrian S, May 11, 2002.

1. Adrian S

Adrian S New Member

I am looking at kitting myself out properly with good quality riding gear. Bearing in mind a large percentage of my riding will be on tarmac I wonder what fellow riders wear/reccommend. I am looking at Textile gear for ease of use and waterproofness, I require gear with air vents as I dislike being to warm. One jacket I have looked at and like is Technic Mach One for pants I have tried on Technic Sprint which have braces and a zip which mates with one on the jacket. I have yet to try boots but want comfort on and off the bike, useful for walking and waterproof. I am 6ft5, 220lbs and size 13/14 shoes so obviously not everything is made in sizes to fit me. One last thing I ride a 1986 R80G/S.... great bike just a bit tired looking. Thank you in advance.

2. Dehager

Dehager New Member

After riding for many years with leather I finally switched to textile type gear myself and do not regret it. I don't get wet any more thinking the rain is going to stop or it's just a mist and no need to stop to put my rain suit on. Now I just ride through and smile :)).

As you are only buying things once if you do it right I purchased the top of the line Tecknic jacket and pants. I have the Sprint model. They are very comfortable (I rode 800 miles one day) and I tested them for warmth and rain as I rode through last Winter in Michigan and France. I like the jacket-pants set up better than the full suit for practical reasons but also I happen to talk with a rider wearing the more expensive Aerostich suit and he told me having some water penetration in the rain as the suit make a kind of pouch at the waist area.

My only advice will be about the color. I purchased a red jacket thinking of being more noticeable to the other drivers but if I could change that I'll take a black one as it get dirty pretty fast if you use it on any season.

As far as boots I have the Alpinestar Gore-Tex which is another waterproof product. This is a street model, black color. Nothing flashy like the race boots and they look like regular street boots (no double layer for shifter) but they are very strong and no wear and tear from the shifter. Last thing I am riding a Quota, Italian counterpart to your R80GS :) Good luck in your shopping,

3. Geser

Geser New Member

My two-piece Aerostitch roadcrafter suit just passed the 100,000 miles mark. It's tired and must be replaced now. In particular, I just returned from a 33,000 mile trip through South and Central America. The suit is now sun-faded, torn from crashes (fortunately no bones broken!) but it fits my body like a glove. But that's wonderful service I believe. I intend to buy a Darien suit this month.

I now wear a rainsuit over the Aerostitch, and remained dry even in tropical downpours. In fact, I recommend this trick even with a new suit. When new the suit was quite waterproof; after riding in a day-long rain/sleet storm in Utah/Wyoming I was wet in only two places, my crotch and down the front of my neck. Due to the depression of the seat by your butt, the puddle in the crotch is almost impossible to avoid. And on a long ride the wind blasts the rain right through any closure across your chest. It simply can't be avoided.

In the tropics of Central America the suit was HOT-HOT-HOT. I wear shorts and a T-shirt under the suit, and by the end of the day I'm soaked with sweat, but there's no avoiding the heat. The vents (under the arms, up the sleeves and pants cuffs and across the back) are well placed and effective. Contrariwise, when I ride at home in Wyoming (the coldest place in the world!) I have to add a pile shirt over long-sleeved shirt and pants. The one alteration in the A-suit I'd advise would be a longer strap with better Velcro to close the neck. With the tunnel neck of my pile shirt turned up to cut the draft down my neck, the strap isn't quite long enough to fasten securely. The A-suit is baggy enough to accommodate the bulk, though I have to watch my weight. Even a couple of pounds extra around my middle makes the suit uncomfortably tight on the chest. I'll buy the Darien suit the next size larger.

I wear Whites' boots, well known by the wildland fire fighting crowd as the best. Mine are just as comfortable at the end of a long day as they were when I put them on that morning. They have been resoled once and had two sets of heels. I like to hike while on a moto tour, and have climbed many mountains in the boots (Pico Orizaba, Iztaccihuatl, Paracutin, and countless other hikes and explorations in Mexico, South and Central America).

I highly recommend the Aerostitch suit; they are a bit more expensive at first, but their excellent service is well worth the slight added cost. Would you wear a cheap helmet? Remember that's your BODY you're protecting! Fortunately, my crashes have been low-velocity (<30mph), yet I believe that the suit has paid for itself several times over in saved medical bills. And consider the inconvenience of being hurt while on a trip in a foreign country. Getting yourself and bike home is an almost superhuman problem!

Color is immaterial, likely the suit will outlast whatever bike you ride now. A dark suit won't show the dirt as clearly but is less visible after dark. The A-suit has a brilliant band of reflective material across the back. My light blue suit gets quite dirty on long trips. I carry a bag of detergent and a scrub brush; just lay the suit out in the shower, give it heck, and hang to dry. The suit is dry within three hours, just turn the sleeves inside out and keep flipping it over in the sun.

So good riding to you.

4. Porter

Porter New Member

Who sells the Whites boots you mentioned?

5. Geser

Geser New Member

Hello, the manufacturer is:
    White's Boots
    4002 East Ferry, Spokane, WA 99202
    (800) 541-3786 (voice)
    (800) 676-2668 (fax)
    www.whitesboots.com

Their local source (where I bought my boots) is:
    Schnee's Boots
    6597 Falcon Lane, Dept. B5
    Bozeman, MT 59718-7545
    (800) 922-1562 (voice)
    (406) 587-7789 (fax)

Send to Spokane for their catalogue. I recommend the 8" LOGGER boot, though they do make other models. Suit yourself. A couple of tricks to make them fit perfectly: These are all-leather boots, so they will mold to your foot much more effectively than a plastic boot. The FIRST TIME you put them on in the store CAREFULLY fold the tongue so it lays flat in three folds across the front of your foot. Don't just wad it up, it will make a lump that will irritate your foot. Repeat the fold every time you put on the boots.

To break the boots in easily, Fill them with hot water, let soak for a couple of minutes, then hike all day until they are dry. This sounds like a brutal way to treat a new (and expensive) pair of boots, but you are only accelerating the natural process. Keep the boots well waterproofed (I use SnoSeal) to maintain flexibility and keep the leather from cracking.

Yes, they are EXPENSIVE, but worth every penny in long service and superb fit and comfort. My boots have at least 1000 miles of walking and well over 90,000 miles of riding