How did the Conti's work, Vik?

Discussion in 'Rubber' started by Martin P, Jun 6, 1999.

1. Martin P

Martin P New Member

I'm waiting anxiously to hear how the Conti TKC80 tires worked on the Moab rally and what you project their useful life to be. Still trying to decide what to mount for a 5K miles trip through the back roads of South America. Sure would like something better in the gravel than my Gripsters, though I love them on the asphalt and hard pack.

2. Robert W

Robert W New Member

I used gripsters for my KLR650 in Patagonia 1998-99 and found them adequate and long-lived even in the gravel of the Carretera Austral, and elsewhere in Chile and Argentina. Of course, I was not into serious performance riding, though I did get up to 70 mph occasionally in the dirt/gravel roads. Never tipped or got sideways due to the tires (the wind, yes; tires, no). If you want something with better gravel grip but still good road tire for the KLR650, I have found that the Metz Sahara 3 Enduro is not bad and still gives adequate tire life. The Sahara 4 sucks offroad for both the KLR and the R100 GS PD, IMHO.

3. KarenC

KarenC New Member

I have the Continental Twinduros on my 90 R100GSPD. I've ridden about 5,000 miles on them this year. I'm due for a new back tire, but the front is still OK. I really like them. They make a big difference off road. Much, better than the gripsters. No comparison, and allot better than the Sahara 3s.They aren't very noisy on the road and not bad in corners. Most of my riding this year has been driving pavement 200-300miles to get to great off road riding, except for trailering my bike to Moab behind some friends in a Rover. It did great in the sand and dirt up there. (The snow too!) I will definitely get another set. Yesterday I bought a Perelli Desert racer for the back. Haven't put it on yet. Looks a little more aggressive than the Twinduro. I'll let ya know.

4. Vick

Vick New Member

I just rolled in the door after 2000 of the least fun kms of my life! The Moab rally was great, but the ride back sucked! I'll answer your question quickly now and in more detail tomorrow.

The Contis TKC80's are the new love of my life..=)

I put about 4700kms on them (4000km highway paved/700kms dirt). The front looks new and the back is about 50% done. Keep in mind I was running a ton of paved kms at 110 - 130 kph with about 70lbs of luggage on my bike. I was able to run the twisties just as well as the guys with gripsters, but the contis were wicked in the dirt. Since another rear is $80CDN I don't mind buying one every 8000km. If you run on a lot of gravel/dirt roads you should see considerably less wear.Both Brian and Arnie that rode down with me left Moab planning to get a set.You better order a set before we buy them all up from under you...=)

5. Martin P

Martin P New Member

Now you have really confused by tired old grey cells. Are you saying the tires you raved about weren't the Conti's, or just that, despite your enthusiasm for them you somehow ended up with a new Michelin?

6. Vick

Vick New Member

The Conti TKC80 is called a Twinduro. The desert tire she just bought, but hasn't mounted is a Michlen.

7. KarenC

KarenC New Member

Thanks for the tire clarification. Yes, I love the Twinduros, but just had to try a Michelin Desert tire. Why? Never tried it before and my friend ordered one then didn't want it, so, gotta try it. Looks aggressive! Sounds like you had a great time in MOAB! Wish I could have been there. I love my AL Boxes! Don't have them mounted yet, but thanks to the thorough diagram of all the parts needed and how to assemble them in the Touratech catalog, (that was stupid of them) my friend Lee is making them so they will mount on my stock mounts so I can switch them from my 88 GS to my 90 PD. Hope it works! Thanks again. Did you replace the rubber seal with anything different?

I did attend the Kansas BMW Land of Oz Rally last weekend. Placed 2nd in two field events and third in the other. I thought second in the slow race was pretty good. Got beat by some trials guy, Tom Huff, who could balance on his bike forever, moving at a snails pace without ever having to dab! But, I beat all the other guys! Found some pretty good horse trails around the Lake to ride on while everyone else tested the beer!

8. John C

John C New Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Duro tires sold by Dennis Kirk? Iordered a set of the hf904 median dual sport tires since they were so cheap. I'm probably getting what I paid for, but I will let you all know in a couple thousand miles(or less).