Helmet radio question

Discussion in 'Tools, Accessories & Spares' started by sam, Mar 22, 2002.

1. sam

sam New Member

I got a question about the communicators. I am researching them now, and was wondering how comfortable they are?

If they hurt/push against your ears all day that would not be any fun I would rather just buy a helmet with a speaker and mic built in? I know Harley makes em for their cruisers, does anyone else?

The ones I like the most have a jack to allow me to pipe in my own MP3 tunes!!! I guess my final question is they do not share freq with the FRS handhelds (which is kinda good and bad) but do they all have the same? If we have two different brands, could we talk with each other? That would be very handy for the group rides.

2. Greg J

Greg J New Member

helmet with speakers built-in - btdt - WAY too noisy! Speakers will probably push against your ears, you have to carve the helmet to fit. A LOT of carving for some.

See http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000043.html for an interesting and informative thread on hearing protection and noisy helmets etc, and links to companies that do custom earplugs with provision for earbuds of various types. Makes it possible to get good sound without blasting your ears.

The different companies aren't compatible from what I know. Has anyone tested?

The best intercoms bar none are Autocom. www.autocom.co.uk

3. Craig

Craig New Member

I've used them in my old Shoei X9 and my Arai Quantum/e. The Shoei required minor trimming of the foam in the ear area to get a comfortable fit and the Arai didn't require anything. Once the speakers are right, comfort is a non-issue.

The Collett has a jack for music input, but I've only tried it once. It worked OK, I just prefer not to have music while I'm riding. AFAIK, they do not share frequencies with any other radios... There are two versions of the Collett, the 900mhz and the 49mhz, and they each have two frequencies (IIRC). We have the 49mhz models and have been very happy with them.

Again, as far as I know, the different brands can not talk to each other.

I just took a look at the Collett website (www.collett.mb.ca) and they're selling 49mhz and 900mhz models very cheap right now. The 49mhz are being "blown out" for $89.95, and the 900mhz are $159.95.

Having never used any of the others, I don't know how they compare, but I've been pretty happy with the Collett. It's certainly not crystal clear, but we're able to carry pretty much normal conversations when we're riding.