Hello from Texas and seeking bike advice

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Alex in Texas, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Alex in Texas

Alex in Texas New Member

Hello all,

Greetings from Texas. I'm Alex, and I'm looking at getting my first adv bike soon, and I would love some advice. If this isn't the right place to ask for advice, please let me know and I'll post it elsewhere.

I've only had one bike in my 10 years of riding - a Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe - it's served me well for commuting and the occasional day trips. I recently decided to get something a little more capable so I can take some longer trips, and I eventually found my way to adventure bikes because they seem versatile and they fit my frame very well (6'4 and 230lbs). I've test ridden a number of bikes that didn't feel right for one reason or another, but I haven't test ridden any adv bikes yet, i've only sat on them.

Of course I plan to test ride before I buy and the ride is the most important thing, but I was wondering if you all could offer any advice for someone just getting into this type of bike. On paper I'm looking at the Yamaha Super Tenere, Suzuki V-Strom 1000, and BMW F800GS. Hoping to take some test rides over the next few weeks.

I probably won't be doing any serious off-road riding in the near term. I've never done that before, and while it is very appealing, I don't know if I'll really like it or not. I expect most of my riding will be on pavement and exploring some hard pack dirt roads. I'm also planning to take some longer trips - week long multi-state kind of thing. I'll also be using it for commuting and just riding around town.

Would one of these three bikes be better for a newbie who isn't sure exactly what type of riding they will enjoy most? Or am I missing another bike? The Super Tenere has a lot of bells and whistles for the money, the F800GS has a great rep and seems best for off road riding, and the Suzuki seems like the best "value" bike. I'm kind of leaning towards the Suzuki because it has a good reputation (aside from people calling it ugly) and costs the least - and seems like the safest bet for a newbie like me.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. Like I said I will be test riding these bikes, but because I'm new to the class I don't really know what I don't know.

Thanks!