Combat touring boots review

Discussion in 'Riding Gear' started by Marick Payton, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Marick Payton

Marick Payton New Member

Aerostitch products and services have a legendary and well-deserved reputation among serious motorcycle adventurers. However, I have to report that I have had serious problems with their Combat Touring Boots (made by Sidi of Italy).

First, after a year or so of use, one of the plastic ankle straps broke. Andy told me he had not encountered this problem before and send me a handful of replacements, showing why their service is legendary.

However, after another six months of service, the velcro closures have failed completely, rendering the boots unusable. Aerostitch told me they have had a few other reports of this problem and promptly sent me a new pair. However, Mexican customs demanded a $140 duty, both when they were initially sent as warranty replacement and later resent as a "gift." Clearly, a failure of this sort is a serious problem for anyone travelling abroad.

I believe my problems stem from the fact that I have walked quite a bit in the boots, thus flexing them a lot. Because the leather shell of the boots is very stiff, this flexing puts a lot of strain on the closures, both the plastic strap and the velcro. If and when I find a way to get my replacement boots, I will plan to always carry walking shoes. I suspect I will then have no more problems.

2. ricard

ricard New Member

I've used mine for 3 years now, having traveled more than 40.000 on and off road miles in 3 trips around Southamerica and obviously, with the logical wear, the Combat Touring still provide waterproof and comfortable service to me. I've done my share of walking on them, the velcros hold perfectly and so do the ankle straps. I just put them on "treatment" with a healthy dose of leather conditioner, shoe polish and scotch guard, just like it is advised by Aerostich. Even though the soles are badly worn out, the boots still keep my feet dry and my ankles intact even when the going gets though. I will definitely buy another pair, more so, because of the legendary well deserved reputation of Aerostich, as Marick so rightly put it.

3. Martin P

Martin P New Member

Thanks for sharing a much better experience with the CTBs. Maybe there is not a design problem (as I suspected) and mine just had bad vecro (and ankle strap). Hope so, as I sure would like to get 40,000 miles of wear on the replacement pair, once I figure out how to get them.

4. George

George New Member

Marick, May I suggest that you try WHITES' Boots, They are the favorite of the Wildland Fire Fighters, Foresters and others employed in the outdoors. Mine have been resoled once and had two pairs of heels, and are WONDERFULLY comfortable. These all-leather boots take a bit longer to break in than synthetic boots, but they're worth the extra cost. My 8" Original Smoke Jumper boots have nearly 100,000 miles of riding, countless hikes and backpacking trips, and have climbed Volcan Iztaccihuatl, Pico Orizaba and Volcan Paracutin, all in Mexico. I just returned from a 33,000 mile ride through South and Central America in my Whites'. You will never regret having a pair.

5. Peter B

Peter B New Member

I've got a pair and really like them.

6. Scott Ly

Scott Ly New Member

I where them motocrossing, atving, and cruising. Great comfortable boots. (I wish they all were cheaper though)

7. walter

walter New Member

idontknow...i spend about that much for work boots and i have to replace them about every 9 months or so......

8. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Thanks for all the info so far. I have another question. Does anyone wear them with racing leather types pants (tight on the calf) in the boots?

9. walter

walter New Member

you know, it looks like they'r bullet proof! and i've always thought its a pure joy to use quality gear. I've been using a pair of mcross boots for a few years now, but they never yeilded at all (very hard to shift)wish i had saved the bucks and applyed it towards the combat boots. oh well, live and learn- all over again...lol...

10. northrider

northrider New Member

I have been wearing mine in dirt, mud, rain and snow as well as on the pavement in Yukon Territory, Canada and would not have anything else. A little stiff to begin with, they softed with age/use and are now very comfortable. I use aqueous nikwax for waterproofing and it has never failed even in driving highway rainstorms.

11. ricard

ricard New Member

I´ve used them for over 60.000 miles. They´re badly worn, look like scrap but still confortable and somewhat waterproof. I`m patiently waiting for Andy at Aerostich to send me a pair of new ones. I bet he will.