Combat touring boots for everyday use?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear' started by Tray, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Tray

Tray New Member

Can anyone enlighten me? Can you really use these boots in the day-to-day? Can you get off the bikem and walk around the woods/store/city/campground or do you need to carry a Imelda Marcos supply of boots.I'm a one-pair-of-shoes kinda guy and I intend to go to sth.Am. soon unladen with surplus stuff.

Anyone with experience of these boots I'd appreciate your feed-back.In fact any feedback/stories of yours from sth. of the border would be of genuine intrest.

2. Bob S

Bob S New Member

Don't count on it. They are great boots for riding, but pretty so-so for just walking around in them. They take about a year before they loosen up to where you don't want to take them off before you pitch your tent. I've had mine about three years now, and they finally feel comfy for walking in, although I still would not want to go for a long hike in them. When it comes time to re-sole, I may go for a little less stiff sole than they come with.

That said, I wouldn't be without them. I like how tall they are, and the padded shins, etc. I carry a pair of low top hiking shoes with me that don't take up much room, and are good for any off-bike activities.