Boots and shin pads

Discussion in 'Riding Gear' started by Alex, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Alex

Alex New Member

This may sound strange, but..........

I am sold on my Goretex hiking boots for touring aboard my KLR. They haven't provided any shin protection. So I thought about bringing some soccer shinguards along my next tour. This way I can still go hiking walking, then add the guards when I do any real off roading. Kind of like adding gaiters when hiking........

2. Norm

Norm New Member

Whatever works for you; wear gaiters over the whole deal to stay dry.

Don't let marketing fools tell you you can't live with innovative solutions like these.

Just remember that leather is tougher than nylon, generally.

3. Richard K

Richard K New Member

Doesn't sound strange at all. I did a 15,000 mile trip to Central America wearing Danner Goretex boots - these worked out fantastic. Totally waterproof, high enough to cover with my Aerostich pants, and I could walk in them everywhere. They were a little stiffer than your average hiking boot, and no soft fabric to wear out fast. Only downside is, they are heavier than a hiking boot, but probably not as heavy as CTB's, and don't breathe super-well.

After hearing from another rider how proper MX boots saved him from injury in the middle of an Africa tour, I went and bought me a set of Alpinestars. Man are these boots stiff! I'm thinking I'll have to adjust the shift lever a notch just to get the toe of the boot in easier, whch then puts it in the wrong place for my regular boots - is this normal? Am I missing something?

4. moto

moto New Member

When I'm not wearing my riding pants with built-in armor, I wear these Alpinestars Reflex Knee Guards under my jeans. They stay in place and protect both the knee and shin. I mainly use them for short rides, when I don't want to wear the serious riding pants, but I also don't want to think about having knee surgery again if I go down. I think something like this would work very well with hiking boots, though I always wear motorcycle boots myself. I don't know anything about soccer equipment, but in general I am biased toward motorcycle-specific gear over trying to make something work when it was designed for another use.

5. jayjacinto

jayjacinto Member

Same thing actually happened to me the first time I wore those Alpinestar boots and I did adjust the shift lever up a notch. But since I wear those boots more frequently than my other shoes, I just got used to the current lever position whenever I am wearing other shoes. It's just a matter of getting used to.