Boots and Jackets

Discussion in 'Riding Gear' started by Phil, Nov 5, 1999.

1. Phil

Phil New Member

BOOTS -I have enjoyed the boot chat and was trying real hard to justify a new purchase. The Kalahari and Sidi Trial Zero sure look nice. But, dual sport boots are just like dual sport bikes - compromise! I'll stick with my old Torsten Hallman MX' boots (some indication of how old I am) for serious rides and hiking boots for *adventure touring* trips. My reason for the compromise choice is weight. I don't care how comfortable a boot is, if you are going to do some off-bike hiking that 7+ lb boot gets real heavy, real quick.

JACKETS - At the top of my list is the First Gear Kilimanjaro ($250 mail order). Also in consideration is Aero - Darien at $400 without liner. Is it worth the extra $$. Do I need their $$ liner. I want a four-season jacket. Jacket must have good ventilation for summer use, keep me dry on rainy days , and windproof for winter use (supplemented with my Gerbings electric jacket liner). Did I mention durable. Let me know your experiences and recommendations.

2. Norm

Norm New Member

Don't buy the Kiliminjaro until I can give you my $.02....

3. Richard K

Richard K New Member

To be fair, I haven't used the Kili, only tried it on, but the Darien is fantastic. It will do everything you want, and do it well. The construction is just bulletproof, you are not 'paying for a name', that extra money has gone into the workmanship, IMHO. Aerostich are great people to deal with, I was nervous about getting proper sizing through mail order (esp paying Canadian pesos!), but their advice was excellent and it fits perfectly. I choose to use my own fleece rather than a zip-in liner, this gives you the choice of fleeces that are out there in outdoor retailers, rather than just one. When its cold, I generally want to leave my fleece on, rather than take it off with my jacket. Also, you HAVE to get the back protector (extra $60 I think) - its the reason I'm still walking today, and should not be an option, again, just my opinion. Finally, I have heard many good reports about the Kili, if you go with it you'll still be getting a good jacket...

4. SarahB

SarahB New Member

As for the Kili. I've got one. It prevented me from having any upper body injuries when a car hit me. Safety wise it's darn good. (Can't compare to Darien as I don't own one yet... Imelda had shoes, I've got motorcycle safety gear. ;) Works good in the rain (the one time I've had to test it -- one good thing about L.A.)

As for ventilation for summer use, well, it kinda sucks driving around even with all vents full open and the neck zipped down in the high desert of southern California. But, if you don't mind looking like the hunchback of Notre Dame, just slap your camelbak on underneath the coat filled to the top with ice. As the ice melts, you stay cool, and... you can drink the water! Worked like a charm on my ride to Burning Man.

5. jayjacinto

jayjacinto Member

And Kilimanjaro sport nice designs too! You will not look like a cyborg from deep space with this one..

6. markR

markR New Member

Check the latest TCX ZERO SPPRT BOOT :

7. Josephreese

Josephreese New Member

As for ventilation for summer use, well, it kinda sucks driving around even with all vents full open and the neck zipped down in the high desert of southern California. But, if you don't mind looking like the hunchback of Notre Dame, just slap your camelbak on underneath the coat filled to the top with ice. As the ice melts, you stay cool, and... you can drink the water! Worked like a charm on my ride to Burning Man.