Bike to Europe

Discussion in 'Ride Planning' started by Wayne, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Wayne

Wayne New Member

V-Twin Adventurer and Elefant friends,

Okay, looks like I'm off to Europe next year for a round-the-world trip lasting maybe a couple of years with my partner.

My plan at this stage is ship the bike to London and ride it on to the ferry for Ireland where I plan to work a while. Some riding around Europe, (hopefully a trip with Mats Lundstrom to Morocco), maybe stay in Britain a while, then maybe send the bike home and continue bikeless to Canada, work a while, then through Asia back to Aussie.

From my reading of the Horizons Unlimited site I won't need a carnet for the European or North American parts.

What do people think? Economically viable? My threshhold of pain for the shipping over to Europe and back is about $1500. What will be the effect of mad cow on shipping the bike back to Aussie?

Thought about riding back through Asia but I don't know - from what I've read it's a lot of border hassles, carnets, corrupt officials and those sorts of things. It's a great dream but unfortunately I don't have the money to throw at achieving my dreams at all costs.

By the way anyone on the Elefant list with a 1993 onwards bike get around to checking the inscription on top of the rear brake master cylinder for me yet :)

2. Michael

Michael New Member

We'll if I was heading over there to work for a while I'd be buying a Honda 650 Transalp and bringing it back (riding it back through Asia). Particularly since you'll be earning UK dollars. Depends on how long you'll be there for of course.

3. jayjacinto

jayjacinto Member

I'd choose a 250cc economy-wise.. :D

4. alac65

alac65 New Member

I had such an extremely fun day driving along the Delaware River last year. Vaughn is a very relaxed and experienced guide/ organizer and you can definitely tell that this is something he likes to do.