Australian Ride - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Ride Planning' started by Dave S, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Right now we're thinking of riding a big "S": -Sydney-Grampians-Melbourne-KangarooIsland-Mungo-Uluru-Olgas-Devils Marbles-Tanami-BungleBungle-Kimberleys-Pinacles-Perth

If there are places or tracks you can highly recommend please let us know. We're thankful for all hints.

2. Chris Krok

Chris Krok New Member

Get out of Sdyney as fast as possible, head south for Melbourne via the high country, follow the Great Ocean Road to Port Fairy, north up through the Grampians, onto Mungo NP and Broken Hill, then west to the Flinders Ranges. From there up the Oodnadatta track to Finke, west to Kulgera and on to the rock (Uluru).

From there north via Kings Canyon to Alice Springs, the Tanami, BungleBungle-Kimberlys-Pinacles-Perth

I have a pretty good idea of what to see and roads to ride in Sth East Oz, plus a bed and garage in Melbourne. It will be hot, make sure you have plenty of water with you.I How are you going to keep your beer cold? or will you be drinking it at Kimberley Cool temps?

I'am happy to give you detailed routes, suggestions etc

3. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Of course in terms of money, we should better buy two bikes in Oz and sell them afterwards. But I was somehow hoping of making an AustraliaTwin out of my AfricaTwin. So we're looking for at least one bike to buy in or around Sydney. In case shipping my Twin is far too expensive, we'll have a look for two.

4. Ben R

Ben R New Member

Strooth mate when you go for a ride ya don't muck about now do ya? The "rock" and "Marbles" are great spots for sure but look into the road conditions for the time of year you plan to go etc. Australia is a bloody big place and for a trip like this you (and the bike)WILL need to be ready for it.

5. Russ A

Russ A New Member

Pardon me but all this advise being handed out to Dirk Schafer Hadn't someone better tell him that its going to be unbearably hot outback at the time of year that he's talking about. Hed be better sticking to the coastal areas. I've tried to email him a few times with the offer of maps etc but don't get any replies perhaps someone else could tell him.

6. Dave S

Dave S New Member

We realize that not all of our "sightseeings" will be possible due to the time of the year. So thank you for your hint, we'll take it into account. Never mind: We have almost three month to be in Oz and we only have two fixed points: Arrival and departure. All in between is free, as this is my idea of travelling: Go where you like to, stay where you're welcome, be open-minded enough to change yesterdays decision and don't hurry to fulfill plans. If Kimberleys are to wet, if Uluru is too hot, well, we go somewhere else :)

7. roberto

roberto New Member

I reckon it does´nt really matter at which time of the Year you travel in Oz. But I know it can be very cold in Winter, around July in Alice Springs, we had about -5°C, also in the Flinders, it was icecold. The seatcover was white the following Morning, also the Tent too. But it also can be bloody Hot during the summer. My highest temperatur while I was travelling, was 47.6°C in Hyden WA. I took a rest for a while, because it was´nt fun to go anywhere, in that heat. All together I made aprox 40´000 km on a Honda XLV 750R, and 35´000 km on a Honda XR600, so I spent nearly 2 Years of traveling in and around Australia.

8. Russ A

Russ A New Member

I have a spare map of the Victorian High country will send it to you if you give me your address. Out back Australia is fairly unpleasant that time of year because of the heat and flies but there are plenty of other places to visit. We have accommodation available also.

9. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Thanks for your kind offer. I'd really appreciate receiving the Vic-map.

I'm not sure wether it's poosible to send the map free of charge for you. Please tell me what you had to spent, so I can return your expenses. Yesterday we booked our flight to Sydney and we'll be there around 11th Dec and some more days to buy a bike for Diana. If you don't mind we might pass by on our way westwards.

10. jayjacinto

jayjacinto Member