Any experience with Motoport (or other) Kevlar jacket/pants?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear' started by Lauren, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Lauren

Lauren New Member

I have been thinking about some summer gear. I know about the Joe Rocket type gear, but I want something that is bright yet tough. I saw the Motoport high visibility yellow Ultra II jacket and it is quite a bit more blindingly bright than my Darien. It is also breathable Kevlar which is supposedly tough and cool.

Has anybody actually used this product, or a product like it? Is it cool? Does it protect during a crash (and no I am not really intrested in Aerostich's opinion on the subject).

2. Vincent

Vincent New Member

I had this dilema last year,and found the reverse layer system was the best. I purchased the Joe rocket jacket, and it works well but can be cold on in between tematures. So what was the optimum summer gear with addiquit protection. I chose light leather pants with a baseball shirt the joe rocket jacket and a gortex wind breaker if needed. The joe rocket pants do not hang good on your body ecspecialy if you are a shaply woman. I did not find the leather pants to be hot. A sports bra for a woman is also a good choice.

3. Lauren

Lauren New Member

Um, just to be clear, very little of that applies to me; despite what the spelling of my name indicates (commonly mistaken to indicate a female gender - so don't feel bad, everybody makes that mistake with me) - I am a guy, a pretty big guy (6'6", 250#).

I am thinking along the same lines though; a breathable jacket (and maybe pants) while also carrying a rain suit - such as a Dry Rider suit. I have found that while my 'Stich gear is pretty good, it is not as water or wind proof as a good rain suit, and that most of the time I prefer to be riding in weather that requires breathability rather than rain protection, so I want a very protective suit that breathes - but I don't want something quite as light as the Joe Rocket Phoenix gear.

My main concern with the MP Kevlar suit is protection, comfort (I've had bad experience with MP armor being uncomfortable) and how it compares for keeping cool in warm weather. With the Darien I often find myself saying that it is either too cold or too hot to ride. I need to get some heated clothing for the winter, and some evaporative gear for the summer, but I want to start with a jacket that is a bit cooler than my Darien.

4. DonB

DonB New Member

Our experience with MotoPort Ultra II Cordura and Kevlar jackets and pants has been excellent. Deb had 2 hard (at speed) crash’s last fall and both times came away undamaged. The first crash the gear survived a high speed get-off and 30’ slide and was just dirty, no damage. The second crash the suit survived an over the bars face slide and the only damage was on the pocket where the garage door opener was. Highly recommend this suit, MotoPort UltraII. With the Gore-tex liner in it is water-proof, and with the liner out the material breath’s.