$150 Removable Hard Luggage IS HERE

Discussion in 'Parcel Racks, Panniers, Luggage & Seats' started by filmagic, Dec 6, 2002.

1. filmagic

filmagic New Member

A long while ago I posted that I was putting together a set of hard bags that was removable, and cost about $150. Well, it is here. I have decided not to go into the motorcycle luggage business. This locking luggage could be mounted on any bike with a rear rack, locks onto the bike, and is removable. And the whole system, trunk and aluminum side cases, set me back about $150, including the mounting system. If anyone decides after looking at it that they would like more information, such as where to buy the conmponents and how to make the mounting system, I will be happy to email that information.

I used this luggage on my recent trip through Mexico, and it held up fine.

2. Dave S

Dave S New Member

I went to the trouble of joining the Quota list to see the pix. Unfortunately they didn't provide any useful information. What would be valuable is source, model #'s and specific description or pix of the mounting system.

3. filmagic

filmagic New Member

I have posted the instructions for making the mounting bracket for my $150 system of hard luggage in the guzzi_quota group, under files, cheap luggage bracket, as a series of 6 bitmap files. As I may have mentioned earlier, I first mounted the cases on my KLR650, so they will go on just about anything with a rear rack.

As I responded to several inquiries, the rear trunk is from JC Whitney and goes on sale occasionally for less than $50, and the aluminum side cases can be found in many places. I bought mine for $30 each at a Pilot Gas Station, but have seen the identical 18x13x6 case for about the same price on ebay.com by typing "aluminum case" in the search window. There are suppliers in the US and Canada (case-depot.com for my Canadian friends.) that I am aware of. There is also a different case available now on ebay, which is 16x11x9, and another one sold as a pilots case with dolly that looks like it might work and is even bigger, that open at the top like a pannier and might be better suited for the purpose. I would advise anyone interested in buying a pair of cases listed on ebay to email the seller and ask them for the best price, shipping included, for 2 identical cases. Don't get caught up in a bidding war on something which everyone has a lot of and is trying to sell...

I have put over 5000 miles on my luggage, both fully loaded and empty, at some incredibly high speeds and over some pretty rough roads, and it has held up fine.

4. Larry

Larry New Member

Could you post your information in a easier to get at format than on the Guzzi yahoo group site. Just to see some photos I have to sign up on another group listing, allow more cookies, more passwords, etc etc etc just to look at a few photos, then go through the hassle of un subbing. Anyone who I want to give the link to will have to go through the same routine. There must be an easier way!